Revolutionary pop culture icon Yoko Ono teams up with acclaimed actor/director Rose McGowan (Charmed, Scream, Grindhouse – Planet Terror, Grindhouse – Death Proof, Machete, Dawn) to direct the official music video for “Catman” (Miike Snow Remix), taken from Ono’s latest collaboration album, the critically acclaimed Yes, I’m A Witch Too, out now via Manimal Group.
The arresting result offers intriguing visuals of bodysuit-clad women of varying body types moving expressively to Miike Snow’s frenetic reinterpretation of Ono’s “Catman”, which originally appeared on Ono’s 1973 album Approximately Infinite Universe. The result is jarring and compelling, as well as inspired, anarchistic and subtlety subversive.
“Yoko Ono has been an ardent supporter of women and modern dance for years and so I wanted to thank her for that. Casting women dancers over 60, including one with cancer, was my way of showing that vitality doesn’t die with age. I used color overlays to create my own visual beat. Very proud to be in Ono world, it’s an important one.” says McGowan, whose directorial debut came in the form of last January’s Dawn, which received multiple awards at the 2016 Sundance Festival.
Yoko has long been a staunch advocate against sexism and ageism, and the video is a vibrant testament and tribute to her enduring philosophies. In keeping with her ethos “every moment in our lives is a miracle we should enjoy instead of ignoring”, the “Catman” video is a rousing celebration of life and all its complicated struggles as expressed through the freeing and healing powers of dance.
“Catman” (Miike Snow Remix) is taken from Ono’s latest offering Yes, I’m A Witch Too (out on Manimal Group), the sequel to her critically acclaimed 2007 collaboration record Yes, I’m A Witch (Astralwerks).
Yes, I’m A Witch Too includes remixes and collaborations from Death Cab for Cutie, Peter Bjorn and John, tUnE-yArDs, Portugal. The Man, Sparks, Moby, Danny Tenaglia, Ebony Bones and many more.
Yes, I’m A Witch Too – TRACKLISTING
1. “Walking On Thin Ice” ONO-Danny Tenaglia
2. “Forgive Me My Love” ONO-Death Cab For Cutie
3. “Mrs. Lennon” ONO-Peter Bjorn and John
4. “Give Me Something” ONO-Sparks
5. “She Gets Down on her Knees” ONO-Penguin Prison
6. “Dogtown” ONO-Sean Ono Lennon
7. “Wouldnit” ONO-Dave Audé
8. “Move On Fast” ONO-Jack Douglas
9. “Soul Got Out of the Box” ONO-Portugal. The Man
10. “Approximately Infinite Universe” ONO-Blow Up
11. “Yes, I’m Your Angel” ONO-Cibo Matto
12. “Warrior Woman” ONO-tUnE-yArDs
13. “Coffin Car” ONO-Automatique
14. “I Have A Woman Inside My Soul” ONO-John Palumbo
15. “Catman” ONO-Miike Snow
16. “No Bed For Beatle John” ONO-Ebony Bones!
17. “Hell In Paradise” ONO-Moby