The Mandela Effect is a recent phenomenon in which experiencers claim to be living in a reality slightly different from the one they remember. These differences, manifested in literature, movies, logos and even people themselves, constitute the evidence of an altered reality for “Mandela” believers. The term was coined after large groups of people seemed to “misremember” Nelson Mandela dying during his imprisonment in South Africa.
To kick off the experience, Sufi called upon Daddy G, the pioneer member of Massive Attack, to provide a disturbing take on the powerful “Your Maker.” Shabazz Palaces follows this with a renegade flip of African Spaceship. The message continues as Anna Wise provides her rendition of “Your Maker” and Sufi does a solo take on “Show,” a sullen tune from Rustin Mann and Beth Gibbons. Ras G, Innsyter, Moor Mother, Perera Elsewhere, King Britt, and a crew of Gonjasufi’s San Diego brethren seamlessly complete Gonjasufi’s message. Here, the generally reclusive producer has tapped into a new reserve of creative inspiration, manifesting his second release in under a year.
Mandela Effect is out now digitally on Warp Records, and on Limited CD & LP on April 7. Gonjasufi will be on tour with Skrapez and Perera Elsewhere throughout Europe and beyond in 2017, his first major tour since 2012. Confirmed dates below.
01. (x) (Intro)
02. Show (Beth Gibbons/Rustin Man cover)
03. Your Maker (Daddy G Remix)
04. Afrikan Spaceship (Shabazz Palaces Rework)
05. Maniac Depressant (Perera Elsewhere Remix)
06. When I Die (IMD Remix)
07. (y) (interlude)
08. The Conspiracy (Santino Romeri Remix)
09. Your Maker (Anna Wise Remaker)
10. Afrikan Spaceship (Ras G Ghettoscifi Remix)
11. Maniac Depressant (Innsyter Remix)
12. Vinaigrette (Dave Parley Remix)
13. Afrikan Spaceship (King Britt Rework)
14. The Kill (Moor Mother Remix)
15. Etherwave (feat. Tony Allen)
16. (z) (Outro)